Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Book Revew: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

See on Goodreads

Genre: YA Dystopian Romance

Recommended if you like:
characters with some sort of supernatural ability/superpower, an unsure heroine who grows more and more confident, a love triangle, romance as a large factor, and a rather unique writing style a lot like this

Book Summary:
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Book Review:
The book starts out with our heroine sulking around, not really doing anything because she's a prisoner. She's not confident about herself, and she fears that her abilities are too dangerous. But as the story progressed, I realized that showing her weak side was important, as it later shows her character growth and acceptance of her own self. 

Romance plays a huge role in the book - In fact, genre-wise, it's probably more romance than it is dystopian. Society has turned to crap, and because of our heroine's powers, she becomes a very important figure in the war for both the bad guys and the good guys.

Overall, it was a good. I will read the sequel. The writing style takes getting used to, but once you get over it you'll easily dive into the story. And I'm a total sucker for characters with superpowers. Hell, I wish I had a superpower too.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! I felt that the love triangle was just barely hinted in Shatter Me but I hear that it plays a big role in Unravel Me. Which is the main reason I haven't gotten to reading it yet...
    Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no problem! i know, i'm curious to see where the story goes from here! i'm still okay with the whole love triangle deal so, it's definitely on the read next/ freakishly soon list!

      Delete
  2. I loved this book! I agree with Bayan, the love triangle is hinted at in the first book, but it is definitely a big deal in the second book. I agree that the writing style is very different, and it does take a little while to get used to, but I loved it! I would recommend reading the next book, I don't think you will be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me! I'm giving it a try real soon :)

      Delete
  3. I have been dying to read the series but haven't gotten the books yet. I am not big on the triangles either but I won't let that detour me!

    Followed back GFC New Follower! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to read this book! It will be one of the books I read next year for sure! Great review!

    Thanks for the follow! Followed back!

    Ally @ Book Fixation

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this book. I've enjoyed the second one better ;)
    Mind-blowing sequel and take note of Chapter 62.

    ReplyDelete