Sunday, December 15, 2013

Book Review: Covenant Series by Jennifer Armentrout

See on Goodreads

Genre: YA Paranormal

Recommended if you like:
A stubborn yet kickass heroine, snarky dialogue, forbidden romance with a slight love triangle, lots of action scenes, Greek mythology, and a satisfying end to the series.

Half-blood (Covenant, #1) Book Summary: 
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Series Review:
At first glance, it sounds similar to the much more popular Vampire Academy series. It has the whole mentor/student romance aspect thats forbidden due to their bloodline, segregation between the pures and the halfs, killing daimons, and the main character has a snarky attitude.

But it's so much different from VA, especially after book one.

The story moves away from the forbidden romance/killing daimons aspect of it to a much bigger issue in the second book. I can't really talk about it without spoiling it, so I all can say is that every character's lives will change. For better or worse. Overall, I really enjoyed the series as it progressed. What I loved the most was the growth of the heroine into a much better and likeable character.

PS. I'm a major VA fan, but that didn't keep me from loving this book series too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you're a new blogger! Welcome to the world of reviews!
    I gave up on the series because it was too similar to VA but now I'm wondering if I should try it again. I thought the premise of it sounded amazing but when I read a sample, it was too much like VA. But perhaps i should push through and get to book 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i'm still trying to figure everything out though! :) Anyway, I almost didn't finish book one cause of it. Not gonna lie, it was kinda a toughie to get through it, but it was worth it in the end! at least for me!

      Delete
  2. Awesome Series overview. I have read book 1 and am hoping to finish this series this year!! i am glad to hear it changes after book 1, I was worried it was a bit of a VA replica - and I loved VA.

    Great post - I'll let you know what I think when I get there :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete