Sunday, February 16, 2014

Movie Review: VAMPIRE ACADEMY

See on IMDB
 Let me start off by saying I'm a super huge fan of the book series.

Before watching the movie, I was kinda shocked with the trailers released beforehand. It seemed like they marketed the series like a typical high-school romantic comedy movie ala mean girls with vampires. That, plus the negative reviews on rotten tomatoes made me nervous for one of my favorite books of all time!

But honestly, I enjoyed the movie. It was a very faithful adaptation of the book, and I can't really see it being filmed any other way. They explained everything really well for non-readers* of the series [the different roles of the dhampir, strigoi, and moroi, and the structure of monarchy/royal families] and they set up the sequel without being too obvious or forceful about it. I feel like it blended the romantic, dark, and comedic aspects quite well. I hope the sequel will be greenlit, because Frostbite was my favorite one in the series.

As for the negatives, there was a good amount of "high school drama" cliche scenes that went on way more than it should have, but that's what happened in the first book. So I can't really complain about that. Another thing is, I honestly imagined Dimitri to look much much different. Don't get me wrong, I think Danila Kozlovsky is a good actor, but I found myself looking forward to seeing the scenes with Christian, portrayed by Dominic Sherwood, more. lol But that's just me.

Overall, I think fans of the book should see the movie.

*Non-reader being my boyfriend. I asked him his thoughts after the movie, and he said, "It was okay. I feel like anything with a high school mixed with a paranormal or fantasy aspect to it will never be as good as Harry Potter." lol But at least he enjoyed it too!

So, what did you guys think of the movie?

4 comments:

  1. Great review Isabelle! I love the Vampire Academy series. I enjoyed the movie and hope they make the other sequels as well.

    New GFC follower
    Jess Time To Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so! *fingers crossed* Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. They took the movie off the circuit before I could even go watch it (it didn't even air for 2 weeks) now I have to wait to get it on DVD. I was soooo upset about this. I am so glad to hear some good stuff about the movie. I really cannot wait to see it and I wonder who will play Adrian later on *swoon* . I always imagined Dimitri as Ian Somerhalder *sigh*.

    Loved your review :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!! I hope you watch it soon! I don't think the sequel got greenlit yet, or if it ever will :( BUUUTT IAN SOMERHALDER <3 holy balls, I can watch him play anyone and enjoy the movie anyway. lol

      I admit, I only got about halfway through the latest season of Vampire Diaries, but I'm Team Damon all the way!!! :)

      Delete