Sunday, June 15, 2014

Book Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

See on Goodreads
Genre: YA Paranormal Fantasy

Recommended if you like:
Forbidden love, on-going war between chimaeras and seraphims, beautiful descriptions/world-building, cliffhanger endings, and dark not-so-happily-ever-after fairy tales.

Book Summary:
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


Book Review:
So I finally got around to reading this book!

To me, the blurb sounded really vague and I didn't know what the story was about. The story pretty much revolves around Karou, a teenager working as a "teeth collector" for a chimaera who practically raised her - until she meets the seraphim, Akiva.

The main thing that really stood out was the rich and vivid world-building, so if you like that then great! You'll find yourself immersed in the setting rather easily.

Overall, I thought it was just good. The last quarter of the book was... different - you either love it or hate it. I wondered why some reviews talked about the "first half" vs the "last half" of the book. It's really hard to explain without giving spoilers! But now I'm in the loop and I totally understand! Bwahahaha!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. What's your rating of the book?? I have read some great reviews about this series and am hoping to check it out soon. There was a lot I also wondered about and only learnt the true meaning as I reviewed more and more books :) I liked your recommended section of the post.

    Great review Isabelle!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been tons of great reviews for this book - which is actually pretty much the reason why I picked it up in the bookstore :) I'd give it a 4/5, though I don't see myself re-reading it again in the near future. Maybe much much later lol

      I really hope you enjoy it, I look forward to reading your review when the time comes! Thanks for stopping by Chanzie!! :)

      Delete