Monday, July 21, 2014

Book Review: Cinder by Marrisa Meyer

See on Goodreads
Genre: YA Science Fiction

Recommended if you like:
a retelling of Cinderella, main character has amnesia, cyborg/mechanic female lead, society with prejudices against cyborgs, a slow romance, sailor moon maybe (sort of), and cliffhanger endings

Book Summary:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

 
Book Review:
Holy shit! I had this book forever, and I can't believe didn't read it all this time! What the hell is wrong with me?!

Honestly, I ignored it for a while because I was put off by the "cinderella re-telling" aspect of it - I just lacked interest. But all the good reviews came in and the book is pretty popular so I finally decided to read it. Overall, I really loved this book. Cinder is very likeable and kick-ass in her own way, plus I liked that she was a pretty cool mechanic.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure readers guessed the twist within the first 15% of the book - but it was still an enjoyable read.

4 comments:

  1. "What the hell is wrong with me?!" I have absolutely no idea BUT AT LEAST YOU READ IT NOW. I also have Scarlet on my bookshelf but haven't even touched it yet. So maybe it's not just you haha.

    Yeah, I definitely guessed the twist, but honestly it didn't affect my reading at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, what was I thinking!! lol

    Oh gosh, I hope I don't have the same problem with Scarlet too! haha especially since it'll be a different main character, I don't know how I feel about that yet. But I'm sure we'll both end up loving it anyway haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes I agree! I thought the whole "sci-fi Cinderella" retelling was pretty lame, but I never realized how good it was. HAHA. It's such a fun book. It's okay, you're not the only one who left it in the bookshelf, untouched. I bought it last May and only got to reading it just 2 weeks ago. haha.

    Glad you enjoyed it. It was such a fun read. I want Scarlet, but I have too many books and ARCs to read first! :o

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Congratulations! You can check out my post here : http://bringontheink.blogspot.com/2014/11/three-birds-with-one-stone.html

    ReplyDelete