Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Book Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

See on Goodreads
Genre: YA Dystopia/Science Fiction

Recommended if you like:
main character has a unique/desirable superpower compared to everyone else, not really knowing who's the good/bad guy, adorable group dynamics with the main characters, slight love triangle, and cliffhanger endings

Book Summary:
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living

 
Book Review:
Wow, it's been a while since I picked up a book in the bookstore and I'm fucking glad I bought this one! It was a pretty enjoyable read. Actually, a few scenes in this book have officially joined my list of all-time favorite book scenes.

In my opinion, it was the perfect blend of world-building, voice, character, and dialogue. Even if Ruby was too scared to use her abilities, she still came off very likeable anyway (not whiny/"i wanna slap some sense into her.")

The thing is, if you like stories with a definitive plot or direction, then this is not the book for you. There is no "Ruby has to go to A so she can B to C." Just like Ruby, you're not really sure where her story is headed - and that's okay for me. She's just trying to stay alive and be safe.

Overall, great read. BUT THAT ENDING! Yup, I'm going to read the sequel.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you loved The Darkest Minds. It was definitely one of my favorite series that I read this year.

    It's really interesting that you point out that there is no clear A to B direction to the plot. I usually hate that but I didn't mind it in this series. I think because it's more character-driven and I LOVE these characters. Or maybe it's because the plot is action-packed. There is so much action and excitement that it reads like an action movie, which I loved!

    I also like what you said about Ruby not being annoying despite her being scared of her abilities. I love that she is a reluctant hero who really takes her time to come to terms with her powers and what she is capable of. I prefer that to characters who are cocky just because they can do things that others can't.

    Great review and I hope you also read and love Never Fade and In the Afterlight!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "reads like an action movie" = EXACTLY! That's probably why I loved it too! It's kind of opposite for me: I almost always like the cocky characters better - but this time I really really liked how Ruby was the reluctant hero of the story. I guess she was just kickass in her own way.

      Gosh, I really hope I enjoy Never Fade and In the Afterlight, but if you liked it, then I'm pretty sure I'll definitely love it too. :)

      Delete